Friday, March 28, 2008

Goodreads

Lately I have been spending ridiculous amounts of time reading books purely for pleasure even though it means neglecting my studies. Not good when facing law school finals. I have so many fantastic books that I want to recommend and was told about this website where you can share the books you are reading with your friends and post reviews of books. Go to http://www.goodreads.com/ and set up a profile and add me to your friends. Goodreads is a great way to share reading lists, especially if there are certain friends whose taste in literature is particularly in line with your own.


Another fun website for readers is http://www.dailylit.com/ where you can select a book that will be emailed to you in small sections every day. Right now I am reading Pride & Prejudice that way with one chapter mailed to me each day. I don't always sit down to read an entire book, but I have no problem taking a few minutes to read an email. Check it out.

For those of you who want to know my latest recommendation for a fantastic book, I have two. The first is an adult novel, The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It is an incredibly vivid, unique and beautiful love-story and a heart-wrenching read. I completely recommend it, but be forewarned that if you are a conservative reader and don't like exposure to questionable material, this might not be the best read for you.



The second book is The House of the Scorpion, a young adult fiction by Newberry Award winning author Nancy Farmer. The House of the Scorpion is set about 150-200 years in the future and is about a boy who is the clone of the drug-lord leader of a new country called Opium, which lies between the United States and Mexico. There are contemporary issues of cloning and technology without going too far into the sci-fi genre. I completely recommend this book for any reader.



I hope you like this blog! We'll see how often I am able to post or more likely, have something I feel like posting about!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your turn...