Monday, April 8, 2013

Moist Sweet Cornbread Recipe

I love cornbread but I have never had much luck finding a recipe that I really, really like.  So I pretty much try a new recipe every time I make cornbread.  The weather today was surprisingly cool and we spent the weekend visiting our beekeeper friends who sent us home with some of their honey, so I decided to continue my cornbread quest for dinner tonight. 
 
This recipe that I just found today is my new favorite.  It is moist and light and sweet without being too "cakey".  Supposedly it stays moist even for the second day (which I will have to test tomorrow).  Paul agreed that this was the best cornbread I have made and he actually had two pieces (telling for him since he isn't usually a big cornbread guy) and Clara, who has previously refused to eat cornbread (so weird, right?) devoured an entire piece.  Also, if you haven't tried Miller's creamy honey before (suprisingly it seems like lots of people in the Bay Area have never even heard of creamed honey), you really should try it on cornbread because it is AMAZING and so different from regular honey. 
 

Moist Sweet Cornbread

1 cup cornmeal
3 cups flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup melted butter
2 Tbsp honey
4 eggs, beaten
2 1/2 cups whole milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.  In a large mixing bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Pour in the vegetable oil, melted butter, honey, eggs, and milk, and stir until just moistened.  Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.  It will turn golden and show cracks on the top.  Remove from oven and serve warm with butter and honey.  Preferably Miller Creamy Honey, right Ginny and Jason (wink, wink)? 

*I halved the recipe.  Original recipe here

2 comments:

  1. Okay you're a posting machine. I just read about the backyard and then you lit up again.

    As much as I love homemade food, I've never had better cornbread than Trader Joes' boxed cornbread. It's so gooooooooooooood Amy!!!! But, I am going to try this and I'll see what I think... :)

    I love the backyard, it looks very plush and fresh.

    I hope I didn't bully you into coming over tomorrow. I won't take a lot of your time. Thanks for having me.

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love corn bread!! Thanks for the recipe. I agree that as much as I love it, I can't find the perfect recipe. Excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn...