Saturday, January 19, 2019

Rose's 5th Birthday

Rose turned five on the 19th and asked for a "rainbow unicorn" birthday cake.  We did a little birthday party at home (more like a glorified play date with cake and presents) in between preschool and ice skating lessons that day.  

It was actually kind of perfect.  We just asked the guests to wear their favorite dress-up, then played musical chairs, then the kids went off to the play room.  I was glad I hadn't planned any other games or crafts or anything because really, all they wanted to do was play.  

Rose got some very nice presents although I think the one she has enjoyed most of all is the Elena nightgown that Tabby sent her.  










I took Rose out to lunch at her favorite place (Mr. Pickles Sandwich Shop) after her Tap/Ballet combo dance class.  Then I got to work at preschool with her. 

When I asked Rose what she wanted to take to preschool for snack on her birthday, she immediately said that she wanted fruit salad with marshmallows.  I tried to talk her into cupcakes, but she was adamant that we do fruit salad instead, so that's what we did.  




Rose at 5 years old:
  • Loves ice skating, dress-ups, reading books (especially the Mercy Watson and Princess in Black series), dance, gymnastics, and anything pretend.
  • Is obsessed with princesses (especially Elena of Avalor), jewelry, make-up, and basically anything fancy or girly.  Whenever she notices me wearing lipstick, she comes begging for a kiss, hoping to steal some right off my lips for herself.  She also likes to pick out earrings for me to wear and then won't let me put them in myself, choosing to do it for me instead (which causes me no small amount of anxiety).
  • Rose freaks out about spiders and even the tiniest scrape or hangnail, wailing until a band-aid is applied, which is the only thing that gives her any consolation.  
  • She is still our social butterfly and makes friends easily.  But she is also boy-crazy and is constantly informing us about all her various boyfriends and who she plans to kiss or marry.  It's been cute, but it's also worrying us for what she will be like as a teenager.  ;) 
  • Loves anything chocolate.
  • Gives the sweetest snuggles and hugs.  She still loves to be held and climbs onto my lap almost every morning, just wanting some quiet time with me holding her.  When I snuggle her in her bed at night, she snakes her arm under my neck and pats my check.  The other night she put her cheek right against mine and then told me softly, "mom, I'm so glad God made you."  I died on the spot.
  • Deals with serious hanger issues.  For reals, sometimes she just loses it and it's all we can do to manage her rage until we can get her to calm down and eat dinner.  Fortunately, it's been less and less frequent to experience this lately.
  • She is soooooo close to riding a bike.  Really I think we are ready for the training wheels to come completely off, but she's wanting them on still and we just haven't had the chance to head over to the church parking lot for some serious practice.
We sure love our Rosie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your turn...