Thursday, July 22, 2010

In a slump

I feel like my life is a moving sidewalk and I'm walking the wrong way on it - not fast enough to counteract the forward motion, but just enough to be stuck in the same place perpetually watching everybody else go one way or the other.  I've tried to put my finger on just exactly what is causing these doldrums, but the source of the funk keeps slipping from my grasp.

It's not work - I'm working long but not insane hours and for the most part my cases are pretty interesting.  In fact, a team I'm on had a nice little victory yesterday that I got some firm-wide recognition for, which was fun.

It's not the weather - California has the most beautiful weather of any place in the world.

It's not Paul - he cracks me up on a daily basis and we've been enjoying long evening constitutionals again on the trail by our house.

Some possible causes are:  1. I haven't read a book that has really inspired me in a little while and although I've read some interesting ones, none of them have really stuck with me.  2. My skirts are getting a little too snug for comfort and that's never fun.  3.  Our apartment needs a good scrubbing - floors need to be swept and mopped, clothes are sitting in untidy piles on the dresser, and the carpet hasn't been vacuumed in too long to admit on the blog.

But I'm trying to dig myself out.  What do you do when you are in a slump?

5 comments:

  1. Usually, I'll get my endorphins running by doing something active - swim or yoga (never running, ha ha). Or I read. Or I watch one of my favorite movies. Or I hug my cats. Last night Hobbes gave me the longest hug back, with his head curled around the back of my neck. Do you want to borrow Hobbes for a night?

    I thought about calling you guys tonight, but didn't precisely b/c of my mood! When you figure out how to get out of your slump, let me know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually my un-slump-er is counting down to our next trip. Come to think of it, I could use some un-slumping, thus I have just invited myself to your house. Check your e-mail! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how are you sleeping? Usually, the last thing I want to do when I'm funky is sleep (can't shut my mind off), but making sure I'm getting a good night's sleep every night makes a world of difference with my mood. It's the difference between acting like a 29 year old and a 3 year old, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find I usually just need exercise, some rest, and a social outlet. So as a (juris) doctor, I prescribe to you the following: a good workout, a good nap, and a good party!

    p.s. good job on the little victory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry I don't have advice, but I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one in a slump.

    I'm cheering for your "little victory" and hoping you get many more!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn...