Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Book Review

So, photos from our Yosemite vacation are coming - hopefully soon - but I wanted to do a quick post about a book I just finished.  It has been freaking me out in thirty minute increments as I listen to it while driving to and from work.  The book is called "Life As We Knew It" and it is by Susan Beth Pfeffer. 

Basically it is a story about a 16 year old girl (Miranda), her two brothers and their mom and what happens to them after an asteroid hits the moon which knocks it closer to the earth.  The moon's closer distance affects tides and weather and before they know it everybody is storming grocery stores trying to stock up on food, electricity stops working, and diseases like West Nile Virus start hitting the human race reallly hard.  The story is told through Miranda's journal entries. 

The main problem with this book is that it is really affecting my intentions to stick to a list or a budget when I go to the store.  Instead, I end up throwing this and that into the cart and thinking "I must stock up, I must stock up" like a mantra repeated over and over in my head. 

I even told Paul that I was okay with him buying a gun.  And I am so not okay with that.  But that is how much this book freaked me out.  I did the same thing when I read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy (which I do not recommend).  I just started the second book in this series - "The Dead and the Gone" which is the story of a kid in New York City and his experiences going through the same event but in a different location.  I just finished listening to the first few days of panic all over again and found myself wandering through Target tonight telling myself that our cupboards are full and our fridge is full and we don't need anything.  It was sort of traumatic.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sold. Just got the book from Audible. How's the second book?

    ReplyDelete

Your turn...