Sunday, August 5, 2012

Easy Lettuce Wraps

*UPDATE:  The very first comment I got pointed out that these have carrots in them and everybody knows I hate carrots.  But remember this post from 2009?  I can actually eat raw carrots fairly easily now even though they are not my favorite (although I still can't get down roasted carrots before the gag reflex kicks in).  Anyway, on to the actual blog post...

The other day I was walking through Costco and grabbed these chicken teriyaki & pineapple meatballs on a whim.  Paul is a BIG fan of meatballs and these were chicken ones and just sounded yummy.  The next day I was trying to figure out what to make for lunch when inspiration suddenly struck and I threw together these lettuce wraps.  They were so easy and they tasted so delicious that I made them again for Paul for dinner and he loved them too and said they are one his favorite things that I have made for him. 
 

I snapped a picture of the lettuce wraps the second time I made them so I could post it on here in case anyone else is looking for something new, fast, and yummy to make.  Here are the ingredients you need:

Aidells chicken teriyaki & pineapple meatballs (from Costco)
Sweet chili sauce (I bought this bottle in the Asian aisle at the grocery store and use it in a couple of my favorite recipes or as a dipping sauce - it is yummy and not really spicy and it just sits in my fridge like any other condiment for whenever I need it)
Soy sauce
Fresh lettuce (I had iceberg on hand so that is what I used, but if I was buying lettuce specifically for these, I would probably get butter lettuce)
Cucumber (sliced into very thin discs)
Carrots (shredded)
Red onion (cut into very thin slices - a little goes a long way in these lettuce wraps)
Yellow (or red or orange) bell pepper (sliced into thin strips)
Bean sprouts (I didn't have any but I would totally have added them if I did)


I pulled off two whole lettuce leaves, then layered thin slices of cucumber, shredded carrots, red onion, and bell pepper on top.  I heated three meatballs (one serving size, which has 130 calories) in the microwave until they were hot, then cut them in half and divided them between the two lettuce leaves.  I then drizzled a little sweet chili sauce and soy sauce on top (maybe a teaspoon of sweet chili sauce for each wrap and maybe half a teaspoon of soy sauce for each).  I will definitely be making these again for a quick and easy lunch, and since the meatballs come in two pouches, I was able to put one of them in the freezer for future use.

3 comments:

  1. Wait, you ate carrots??? Voluntarily?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Deborah. Please see updated paragraph at the top of this post or look at this post: http://thehouseofnash.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-mortal-enemy.html. But I know you were just teasing me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We LOVE those meatballs! They are so yummy in anything and everything!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn...