Friday, August 26, 2011

Clara Jane at 3 months old

Our darling Clara turned 3 months old a week ago and I am just now getting around to writing her monthly update.  I have had a number of friends do similar posts for each month of their childrens' first year and that is why I am trying to stay on top of this.  I want to be able to look back and see how she has changed so much over such a short period of time and never forget this amazing time.

Clara started rolling over a couple of weeks ago and she does it all the time now.  Often we can't even lay her on her back without her trying to flip herself over.  She is a little pro at it, only she gets stuck on her tummy and hollers when she can't flip back over onto her back.  She knows how to flip onto her back, I think that she just doesn't like to flip that way like she likes to flip onto her tummy and would rather just have mom or dad do it for her. 

Clarabelle seems to be the nickname that is really sticking, even though we still like her other nicknames and use them all the time. 

She loves "Eensy, Weensy, Spider" and "Patty Cake".  She also loves it when I hold her up over my head in a Superman pose and then bring her down to my face and give her kisses.  She gets a huge full-face grin when I do this and tries to slobber me with open mouth kisses every time.  It is a good workout for my arms, although I usually get drooled on.

Clara probably smiles more for me but she talks more for Paul.  I'm  not sure why that is, but she seriously gets really vocal whenever Paul gets home from work and it is so awesome to watch the two of them together.  I'm smiling just thinking about it.  She has really strong legs and likes to "stand" and look around while we hold her hands.  She flaps her arms so fast that it is often hard to get a photo of her without blurry arms.

Clara likes to try to watch TV.  Whenever it is on and she is awake, she is constantly straining her neck to catch a glimpse of the screen.  I usually try to either block her view, or just watch stuff when she is sleeping because I read in a book that watching TV before the age of 2 is bad for a child's mental development.  We'll see how long my resolve lasts on this issue, because Clara is seriously entranced by the TV and the fall season of Survivor is starting up pretty soon.  :)

She still wakes up once or twice a night to eat but she goes right back to sleep.  Clara takes 2 morning naps and 2 afternoon naps.  I swaddle her for all of her naps and nighttime sleeping except for her first morning nap because usually she just falls asleep on her blanket in the living room after playing while I am eating my breakfast and getting ready to go to the gym. 

Her hair is 2 1/2 to 3 inches long now and she hasn't lost any of it.  I am getting very used to having total strangers interrupt my shopping, meals, hand-washing in the ladies' room, church, etc. to comment on how beautiful our baby girl is.  So far, it hasn't gotten old.  I can put it in pigtails and ponytails, but usually I just let it do its own crazy thing.

Clara is tolerating her carseat much better than she used to and she is grabbing at all sorts of things now, especially brightly colored toys, her bottle, and my face and hair. 

At night we try to always say prayers and read scriptures with Clara and then I sing "I Love To See The Temple" and "I Am A Child Of God" to her before putting her to sleep.  Sometimes I take her for walks by myself and tell her about each of the people who love her, especially her K, and about all the things I want for her in life (to attend BYU, to fall in love, to travel the world, etc.).   
We love our sweet, fun, hilarious, smart, happy, goofy little girl.  I love how she cuddles close up when she is sleepy or her tiny round-mouth yawns.  I love how strong she is getting even if it means I have to fight to keep the bottle in her mouth sometimes because she is strong enough to push it away without realizing what she is actually doing.  We can't get enough of the precious, amazing daughter of ours. 

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe she is already 3 months old. She is just as cute as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is just the sweetest thing ever! She is so cute in all her pictures. And Amy I must say, Clara is so lucky to have you (and Paul of course)! And btw, I am DIGGING the dark hair and the bangs! Seriously it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful baby.

    I love the bird quilt. Did someone make it?

    ReplyDelete

Your turn...