Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Wanderlust

I'm sitting at my carrel, one of maybe six in our law school that actually has a view out the window at the giant Y gracing our mountain, and writing this post because something really rare has happened today. See, I have a favorite question. I ask myself the same question at least once a day. Sometimes I ask other people too. I ask, "If I could be anywhere else in the world right now, where would I be?" I don't think about the finances or travel time involved. Its more like a snap of the fingers and I am there. Kind of like the game where you spin a globe and blindly stop it with one finger to discover a new location, except that this isn't blind. I choose the spot. Its somewhere I want more than anything to see. Often it is Machu Picchu or the Taj Mahal. There are days when it is a white sand beach in Fiji or an empty dark alcove in Notre Dame.

But today I spun the globe of my mind and did a double-take. Today I want to be right here in Provo. No exotic destinations come to mind. Utah is NEVER a top pick. Honestly this is a first. I think it is because the sky is dark with stony, swirling clouds and black raindrops that are just starting to tug on the dark gold leaves adorning the trees around Provo. While I was driving to school, I rolled down my windows despite the chill just so I could feel the wind whip against my face and neck and smell the rich fall air. And now, warm and dry in the law school, leaning back in my chair to see past my reflection in the dark window glass at the Y, I just can't think of anywhere else I would like to be.

Tomorrow will be different and that's okay. My wanderlust doesn't mean I am dissatisfied with my life, it just shows the adventure in my personality: I always want to experience the new and different. The world has so much to offer. So many places of beauty. Today, Provo is that place for me.

Now be honest and don't think about it: If you could be anywhere else in the world right now, where would it be?

4 comments:

  1. Because I can see snow in the mountains and I really want to go skiing, it's definitely the Swiss Alps today. But you're right, today Provo is a good place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man - I would love to be in the mountains, in my fleece pants, curled up in a warm cabin, asleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seaside in Positano, with the sunny hitting my face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd love to be on the beach today just relaxing reading a book and enjoying the sun. Good thoughts about what the world has to offer, so much diversity!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn...