Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Independence Day

We had a low-key kind of 4th of July this year.  We spent the morning puttering around the house washing cars, installing smoke detectors, and going for a walk.  Clara seems to be hitting a growth spurt because she is sleeping a TON lately.  We drove up to Sanborn park in the afternoon to try to take photos of Clara in her red, white, and blue outfit, but Baby-Girl didn't want to wake up.
After giving Clara a bottle (she is back to drinking 4 ounces each time now), she opened her eyes for a little while but quickly decided she was not happy and required strategic binking in order to get photos where she wasn't scrunching up her face and squawking her discontent.
I made this quilt just before I went on my mission.  It was the first thing I ever sewed.  While I was on my mission my mom entered it in the Idaho State Fair and I think it won second place or something.  It is one of my favorite possessions and perfect for the 4th of July.


Her outfit, sandals and all, was from Gymboree.  She has another patriotic dress that my mom bought her but it is still too big so we went with this one.


After the park we went over to our friends' house for a cookout.  We had a fun time hanging out and setting off fireworks in the street.  Santa Clara county doesn't allow the sale of fireworks - not even sparklers - so it was kind of surprising when we were driving home at 9:30 to see tons of HUGE fireworks being set off all over the valley. 
It wasn't exactly fireworks over the National Mall or anything, but we still had a lot of fun.  If only we had blasted some John Phillips Sousa, the day truly would have been complete.  Happy Independence Day!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful holiday! Her outfit and the quilt are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quilt is gorgeous!! And so are the girls in the pictures! Oooookay, Paul, you look good too! :) Her hair is so awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photo of you and Clara together looking up at the camera. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Your turn...